Guys, spent the day labbing up the Lab1 with the IE Rack Rentals through Graded Labs – this was the 1st of 8 sessions I have booked over the coming weeks. Access wise no issues whatsover – all worked flawlessly – created several tabs in SecureCRT for the various devices and got stuck in – a little annoying having to setup the initial configs given that the blocks are only 5 1/2 hours long. This took 13 minutes.
A couple of things caught me out – the rack rentals and the SP Labs don’t match exactly – Serial 0 not Serial 1 on R4, ATM0 not ATM3 on R9, etc. I will publish my SP Lab Plan shortly but to give you some of my timings.
- Switching – 15 minutes – 6 points
- Frame Relay – 32 minutes – 9 points
- OSPF – 33 minutes – 8 points
- BGP – 42 minutes – 12 points
- MPLS – 21 minutes – 9 points [I skipped the last TE Section and moved on missing 3 points]
- VPN – 63 minutes – 9 points [Skipped the last 3 sections missing 9 points]
- Multicast – 20 minutes – 3 points. [Only got the first section done]
So, lessons learned? Well, got my full IGP/EGP completed – tested with TCL script looked good – all outputs showed the routes I needed so that’s positive – Extrapolating based on this then assuming [A huge assumption!] that what I configured was correct then I would just about get 80 given the full 8 hours.
What caught me out? – I made a mistake configuring loopbacks requiring re-visits in OSPF [and reloads!], RIP caught me out, I was not getting RIP Updates and debug ip rip yielded authentication failures. Turns out the rack rental email states to use cisco for passwords but the Vol2 lab says use CISCO, I used lower case but the BB’s were upper case, took a few minutes of time. TCL Script took some time, getting the IP’s together from the outputs of sh ip int brief etc took time to assemble and also time to run on each router [perhaps up to 15 minutes!].On a positive note I did 3 CCO lookups and got my anserws within 2 minutes each – I also got caught cold on the VPN section when I had configured the VRF’s correctly but nothing being seen – Turns out the Ethernet Interface on one of the routers was administratively shut down.
Other notes, having to get up and stretch/toilet breaks/tea take time away from you – stamina, sleep beforehand, hunger, concentration and noise levels are all things we need to focus in on, some we need to maximise, some we need to minimise! It’s also so easy to get caught up on an issue and lose time – look at my VPN time – 1 hour for 9 points, in MPLS it took me 21 minutes to get 9 points!!!!
My final point is “point and task tracking” – you must have a plan for this – you must ensure that all tasks are accounted for – I have scanned in and attached my 1st rough sheet for the lab today – on the left I have the section breakdown, the timings and on the right the list of routers to be configured for that section.